Faux Franks Directions
• knife & cutting board
• small roasting pan
kids kitchen skills:
Looking for an April Fools' prank with a delicious punchline? Learn how to make vegetarian “hot dogs” out of kid-friendly roasted carrots, topped with your favorite fixings.
• 4 hot dog buns
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ⅛ teaspoon pepper
• your favorite fixings
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place carrots in an oven-safe baking dish, and drizzle generously with olive oil. Sprinkle evenly with the salt and pepper, turning carrots to cover all sides.
3. Bake for about 40 minutes, until carrots are tender and easily poked with a fork.
4. Cool for a few minutes, and carefully cut roasted carrots to make them about one inch longer than the length of the hot dog buns.
5. Fit each carrot into a hot dog bun, and top with your favorite fixings: fresh ranch dressing, pickled relish, or go fancy with grilled onions and gruyère for the grown-ups!