Happy hummus Directions
• food processor
• measuring spoons and cups
• knife and cutting board
kids kitchen skills:
• slicing veggies
• using a food processor
• presenting food creatively
Looking for a high-protein, dairy-free snack? Help your kids make this Middle Eastern recipe. Explain that the chick peas in this dip are high in protein and keep us growing strong!
• 1 garlic clove
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 2 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice (1 to 2 lemons)
• 2 to 4 tablespoons water
• ¼ cup tahini paste*
• 1 large cucumber
1. Rinse the chickpeas in a colander in the sink.
2. A grown-up should chop the garlic in the food processor. Then, add the chickpeas, salt, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons water, and the tahini paste.
3. Press the buttons and process the hummus until smooth and creamy. Give it a taste test. If you’d like more lemon juice, water, or salt, add some and process again.
4. Cut the cucumbers into diagonal slices with the help of a grown-up.
5. Spoon the hummus into a small bowl. Set it in the center of a plate. Arrange cucumbers petals around it to make a flower.
Makes 4 to 6 servings