Every October, millions of families across the United States adorn their homes with spooky ghosts, scary witches, and other Halloween-themed decorations. Though trick-or-treating is not quite as common as it used to be, Halloween is still a really fun time of the year, especially for kids. They can eat candy, dress up in costumes, and even watch scary movies with the lights off! But if you’re looking to mix things up this year, you may want to consider making some delicious Halloween baking treats with the whole family!
As a parent, you know that finding fun activities for your kids can be a struggle, even during a holiday like Halloween. Fortunately, homemade treats with a Halloween twist offer you a great way to get your kids active in the kitchen, spend hours together as a family, and have delicious and fun food to enjoy. It is literally the perfect way to ensure that your kids can have fun, be safe, and even learn a few new things on Halloween!
In today’s guide, we are going to look at a few different ways of approaching Halloween cooking and baking for kids. Not only will we supply you with a few interesting ideas, but we will also help you find amazing Halloween cake pop kits to make your job even easier. So, let’s get started!
Halloween Cooking For Kids
Typically, Halloween is not a holiday that requires you to worry too much about cooking. For example, Thanksgiving often requires a feast for the whole family while the 4th of July is usually enjoyed with a backyard BBQ. However, this doesn’t mean that you can’t make cooking a new tradition for Halloween, too!
Plus, when you get your kids involved, this takes a lot of pressure off of you or other family members to be the cooks for everyone else. You can simply provide your kids with the recipes and equipment they need and supervise them as they go to work! Just remember to assist your children with any cooking tasks that could be dangerous (lighting a stove, pulling hot pans out of the oven, etc), especially if your children are younger and less experienced in the kitchen.
In any case, Halloween cooking is especially fun because there are no specific foods associated with Halloween other than lots and lots of candy. This means that you can focus on making sweet treats like candy or baked goods in your very own kitchen. Not only will this keep the activity on theme for the holiday, but it will also entice your kids to participate!
Kids’ Halloween Baking Ideas
If you opt for baking with your kids this Halloween, you will need to do a bit of prep in advance. Generally, the joy of Halloween baking comes from the interesting ways that you can decorate the food. From ghost-shaped cookies to Jack-O’-Lantern cake pops, there are dozens of ways to make lasting memories with food on Halloween. To help get you started on the right foot, here are a few Halloween baking ideas for kids:
- Ghost Cookies – You can go about making ghost cookies in a variety of ways. One simple way is to bake standard cookies, cover them in white frosting, and then use a piping bag to paint the eyes on each cookie (with edible frosting of course). If you want to go with a slightly easier route, you could simply bake a large cookie sheet and use ghost-shaped cookie cutters to create each ghost!
- Tombstone Cookies – Tombstone cookies have a lot of potential because you can use them to decorate an entire edible graveyard cake! Alternatively, if you just want tombstone cookies by themselves, you can easily make them using standard cookies and grey or black icing. You can stick with the traditional “RIP” adornment for each tombstone cookie, or you can get really creative and come up with fake names for all of the “deceased.”
- Bat Oreos – You know the only thing that makes Oreos taste better? More chocolate, of course! To make bat Oreos, you will need to dip your Oreos in melted chocolate and allow them to harden. Then, use additional Oreos to create the wings by scraping off the cream and cutting each piece of the Oreo in half. Finally, use a bit more melted chocolate to attach the wings to each Oreo, and viola! You have Bat Oreos!
- Autumn Season Cake – A Halloween or Autumn Season Cake is easy to make using candy corn or Halloween-themed M&Ms. You just have to top your cake with these colors to make sure it fits with the rest of your decorations!
- Spiderweb Cake – A spiderweb cake is pretty easy to make and even easier to eat! All you need to do is bake a standard chocolate cake. From there, you can create the spiderweb design on top using vanilla icing. Finally, you can either use chocolate icing to create a spider at the center of the web or take the easier route and buy a spider cake topper.
- Halloween Cookie Cups – Halloween cookie cups just require you to make cookies that can be filled with candy! Essentially, each cookie acts as a bowl that you fill with small pieces of chocolate or other types of candy. If you make sure to wrap them in plastic first, you can even pass them out to your friends and neighbors.
- Chocolate Chip Spider Cookies – Who doesn’t love chocolate chip cookies? They are easy to make and easy to adapt to a Halloween-themed party or get-together. Once the cookies have finished baking, you just need to find the largest, most visible chocolate chips and use icing to add 8-tiny spider legs to each one.
- Butterscotch Pumpkin Haystacks – Using butterscotch and strips of coconut, you can make “haystacks” that can be adorned with small pumpkin cake toppers, candy corn, or even orange M&Ms.
Halloween Themed Baking Kits For Kids
So, now you have a ton of ideas at your disposal to help you this Halloween! However, you may feel a bit overwhelmed if you need to hunt down recipes and get everything prepared for your children. Fortunately, there is a way to create Halloween baking treats without having to do everything on your own.
With the Kidstir Jack-O-Lantern Cake Pop Kit, you can make up to 15 cake pops at a time. Each kit comes with an illustrated booklet with a kid-friendly recipe, tips for getting the best results, and step-by-step instructions. And though you will need to check the ingredients list to make sure you have everything on hand, this Kidstir baking kit includes all of the pre-measured dry ingredients and candy decorations. This way, you and your kids can make fun, Halloween-themed cake pops with ease!
Lastly, it is important to remember that Halloween cake pops can serve as both a dessert and a part of your interior decorations. Kidstir makes this even better with the cake pop decorating stand (included in the kit) that can hold up to 20 cake pops at a time. So, once you and your kids are finished making the cake pops, you can show off your creations to everyone!
Do you want to learn even more about acquiring delicious, kid-friendly cooking kits? If so, be sure to reach out to Kidstir today!