Kids Cooking Birthday Party Guide
As a parent, you know that it’s not always easy to come up with new and interesting activities for your kids. You want them to have fun and learn at the same time, but finding activities that fulfill both of these criteria can be a challenge. There’s even more pressure to come up with engaging experiences on your child’s birthday. Fortunately, a cooking party for kids is a great way to provide a safe, fun, and educational environment for your child and their friends.
But what do you need for a kids cooking birthday party? What ground rules should you set to keep everyone safe? How advanced should the recipes be? Finally, where can you get high-quality cooking kits for kids parties?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, but first, let’s go over the basic prep work you’ll need to do in advance of a kids cooking party:
Preparing For A Kids Cooking Party
If you do enough prep ahead of time, a kids cooking party should be a breeze. The most important step is to plan the meals or snacks and acquire all of the ingredients. This might seem like a huge headache, but if you opt for a kids cooking kit from Kidstir, it will make the process way easier. Not only will you get a kid-friendly recipe and a full ingredient list, but you’ll also get tons of food-related games and activities right out of the box.
Now let’s look at the steps you need to take to prepare for a kids cooking party:
- Select the Menu – Unless you want the birthday festivities to be a complete surprise, it might be a good idea to consult with your child to avoid issues later on. For example, you won’t want to come in with the recipe and ingredients for hamburgers if your child and their friends really want to make pizza. So, browse through a few kids cooking kits and pitch some ideas to your child. If you do want to make it a surprise, just remember that things like pizza, sweet treats, and themed meal plans tend to be the most popular choices for kids parties.
- Acquire the Supplies – If you do any cooking of your own, you might already have some of the basic tools you’ll need in the kitchen. However, depending on the age of your child, adult tools may be too large, heavy, or cumbersome. So, be sure to check out some of our cooking utensils for kids to see if you need to restock your kitchen supplies.
- Make a Grocery Run – While most cooking kits come with dry ingredients, you will still need to ensure that you have every item on the ingredients list (in the correct quantities). Realizing you don’t have what you need on your child’s birthday could be really stressful. So, always do a quick grocery run a few days in advance to make sure you have everything you need.
- Set Ground Rules – You may have certain rules in place to help keep your house tidy. If so, be sure to discuss these rules very clearly with your child and their friends. More importantly, ensure that you have safety measures in place. Ideally, you should stick around to supervise and keep the kitchen safe. But if you’re unable to be present, talk about important safety tips with the kids before they ever set foot in the kitchen.
- Set the Mood – While making food will be the focus of a cooking birthday party, it is still a birthday, and you should set the mood accordingly! Since your kids will spend a lot of time in the kitchen, consider setting up kitchen decorations like balloons, streamers, and banners — just make sure your decorations don’t interfere with the cooking!
Teaching Kids To Cook In A Fun Way
Naturally, you always want your child’s birthday to be fun. This applies whether you are taking them to a water park, going to the movies, or throwing a cooking party at home. Ideally, it should be an enjoyable experience for kids and adults alike. Here are a few tips to make sure that the fun never stops during your kids cooking party:
- Keep the Recipes Simple – With a kids cooking kit, you don’t really have to worry about tinkering with the recipes. They are already designed for kids to use and understand on their own. That said, if you have very young kids, you may want to focus on super simple recipes so that they don’t feel overwhelmed or frustrated. Alternatively, if your kid already has some experience in the kitchen, feel free to ramp up the difficulty a little to provide a fun challenge.
- Add a Pop of Color – Even if the recipe doesn’t call for bright-colored ingredients, try to find ways to add fun colors to the food and/or kitchen. From multicolored sprinkles to neon-colored cooking supplies, adding color is a really easy way to make cooking more visually appealing to kids.
- Don’t Do Too Much – It can be easy for a parent to get too involved in the cooking process, especially if you see your kid deviating from the recipe. However, the more you let the kids cook and experiment on their own, the more fun they will have. It goes without saying that you should step in if there is a potential safety issue or there’s a risk of the food getting ruined, but otherwise, just let the kids enjoy themselves!
- Incorporate Games & Activities – While cooking is obviously the focus of a cooking party, you can still include other kinds of games and activities. Fortunately, Kidstir cooking kits already come with lots of games, educational tools, and even science experiments, so you won’t have to do too much creative planning on your own!
Fun Cooking and Baking Ideas
If you have a picky eater or you’re simply not sure what kind of cooking your kid will enjoy the most, don’t stress! As previously mentioned, there are certain cooking and baking activities that are almost universally enjoyed among younger chefs. Here are a few classic ideas to get you started:
Most kids love eating pizza. And because it’s such a fun and kid-friendly recipe, it also makes for a perfect birthday activity. Plus, if you opt for the My First Pizza Shop Kit from Kidstir, your kids will get to enjoy lemon pepper wings and parmesan salad cups with their pizza!
Unicorn Cake Pops
Kidstir’s Unicorn Cake Pops combine the whimsical fun of unicorn decorations with the delicious flavor of homemade cake! This kit even comes with candy decorations and a stand to display up to 20 unicorn cake pops. So, once you’re kids are finished baking and decorating, they can take pictures and show off their accomplishments!
NYC Classic Foods
New York City is home to thousands of delicious recipes (if not more). With the Kidstir New York, New York Cooking Kit, your kids will get to learn about some of the classic cooking traditions of the Big Apple. This kit is perfect if your kids just want to make some quick snacks, as it comes with recipes for a Big Apple salad, black and white cookies, and Bright City bagels!
Do you want to learn even more about throwing a kids cooking birthday party? Are you in need of high-quality kids cooking kits? If so, be sure to reach out to Kidstir today!