Even though they may not like to admit it, kids love to learn. They are curious about the world around them and want to develop skills in areas that interest them. Since many kids love food (particularly fun food), cooking is a great way to learn, grow, and spend quality time together as a family. However, you may not have the time or energy to come up with kid-friendly cooking activities on your own. This is why kids cooking kits are such a great solution for busy parents.
But what is included in a kids cooking kit? Do you need to supervise while your kids are cooking? What are the benefits of kids cooking on their own? Finally, where can you find high-quality kids cooking kits at affordable prices?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, but first, let’s discuss what the term “kids cooking kit” really means:
What Is A Kids Cooking Kit?
A kids cooking kit is a set of cooking tools and supplies designed for children to use in the kitchen. Though each provider varies in what they offer, most kits include at least one recipe, a list of ingredients, and one or two kid-sized utensils. Additionally, many cooking kits include fun accessories for kids, like stickers, games, and food-themed learning activities. Depending on the recipe, a kids cooking kit may come with pre-measured, dry ingredients. This cuts down on the need to hunt for unique or hard-to-find ingredients at the grocery store.
The purpose of a kids cooking kit is to provide children with everything they need to learn how to cook in a safe and fun environment. Since these kits are specifically designed for kids, they frequently focus on simple recipes, using easy-to-read instructions and kid-friendly food items. While kids cooking kits are great for a family activity at home, they can also be used at school or cooking parties.
How To Use Kids Cooking Kits To Teach Kids How To Cook
You might have a family recipe that has been passed down through the generations of your family. While teaching it to your children will be a beautiful way to continue the tradition, the recipe may not be a good fit for young kids. This is why it is better to start off with cooking kits that can give children the basic tools and knowledge they need to cook. Here are a few tips on how to use these kits to help your kids develop basic cooking skills:
- Start Out With Easy Recipes – Kids might be quick to feel overwhelmed or even defeated if they don’t succeed the first time. So, if you have a very young child or a child who has never done anything in the kitchen, start out with beginner kits. The recipes will often include no-bake desserts and simple pasta dishes. Starting off with easier options will help build confidence and make the experience more enjoyable for first-time chefs.
- Examine the Kit Together – It’s not a good idea to just hand your child a cooking kit and hope they figure things out on their own. You might be able to do that if they’ve already cooked with kits before, but if this is their first time, you should try to read over the instructions together. You should also help them understand the different ingredients and guide them through the preparation process.
- Let Kids Do the Manual Labor – It might sound strange, but kids actually like to do the physical stuff. When it comes time to measure out a cup of flour or mix together ingredients, let your kids handle it. Of course, if they have no idea how to start, you can show them what to do. Just be sure that you don’t accidentally take over all the fun parts!
- Incorporate Kitchen Safety – Part of learning how to cook is learning how to keep yourself safe and avoid injuries in the kitchen. This is especially important for children. Try to sprinkle in little tips and lessons about kitchen safety throughout the process, but always make sure to give specific directions before handling hot materials, sharp objects, or heavy pots and pans.
- Celebrate Their Accomplishments – There are millions of adults who don’t know the first thing about cooking, so when your kid is able to see a recipe through from start to finish, it is definitely a reason to celebrate! Always praise their efforts and show your pride in their cooking accomplishments. This will make them far more likely to want to cook again in the future.
- Try New Things – Once your child has tried out cooking kits, you should definitely encourage them to advance and expand their cooking skills. This means trying new recipes, exploring international cuisines, and learning how to do even more things in the kitchen. Encouragement advancement could help turn a short-term hobby into a lifelong passion!
Benefits Of Cooking With Kids
There are a ton of benefits to cooking with your kids. These benefits are not just for your children, either. So, here are some of the top reasons to consider bringing your kids into the kitchen:
- Promotes Healthy Eating Habits – Kids cooking kits are generally designed so that they can enjoy healthy foods and even sweet treats in moderation. Once your kids realize that many of these healthy foods are also delicious, they will be more likely to gravitate toward nutritious options in the future.
- Builds Life Skills – Cooking is not just a hobby. As many adults know, leaving your parent’s house for the first time forces you to figure out how to cook on your own. Giving your kids the tools they need to learn cooking at an early age sets them up to have many valuable life skills as adults.
- Boosts Confidence – Cooking recipes helps give kids a sense of accomplishment. Not only do they get to see the result of their hard work, but they also get to taste it! These confidence-building activities can be invaluable during a child’s formative years.
- Encourages Creativity – Even though cooking kits come with specific instructions, they also leave plenty of wiggle room. Kids can experiment with different ingredients and really get creative while they cook.
- Builds Social Skills – When you cook with your kids, it turns cooking into a team/family activity. If your child struggles to work together as a team, cooking can help them develop the necessary social skills they need to work (and play) with others.
- Provides Quality Family Time – These days, it can be difficult to fit planned family activities into the schedule. Fortunately, a cooking kit kills two birds with one stone. You can spend quality time together as a family and create a delicious meal or snack at the same time!
Popular Kids Cooking Kits
Are you ready to start teaching your kids how to cook with cooking kits? If so, be sure to check out some of our most delicious and popular cooking kits right here:
- New York, New York! Cooking Kit
- Lucky Lunar Feast Cooking Kit
- Jingle Bell Brunch Cooking Kit
- Finger-Lickin’ Thanksgiving Cooking Kit
- Tricks & Treats Cooking Kit
Do you want to learn even more about teaching kids to cook with cooking kits? Are you in need of high-quality kids cooking kits? If so, be sure to reach out to Kidstir today!