Make a soothing fall spread to go with your favorite seasonal treats. Apple butter is a perfect complement to muffins, biscuits, scones, or pancakes, and it also tastes delicious spread on cheese, chicken, or pork. Yum!
1 hour 15 minutes
- 4 Gala apples, cored and sliced
- 4 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
- 1 cup apple juice, apple cider, or water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin spice (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 30 unwrapped caramels, melted (optional)
Kids kitchen skills:
- simmering and reducing
- measuring cups & spoons
- knife & cutting board
- medium pot & large spoon
- blender or food processor
- In a medium heavy pot, combine sliced apples, apple cider, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until apples are tender and most of the juice has evaporated. Stir occasionally.
- Carefully remove the cinnamon sticks. Using a blender or food processor, blend the apples to a thick, sauce-like consistency.
- Pour the sauce back into the pot and turn the flame to medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Continue to stir occasionally until the sauce changes to a darker tone and begins to thicken, about 1 hour.
- Cool completely before storing in the fridge.