Nothing beats homemade applesauce! Serve with oatmeal, muffins, or latkes for a naturally sweet bite.
- 4 apples (any variety)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ cups water or apple cider
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- sugar (optional)
Kids kitchen skills:
- use of stove
- cutting board & knife
- large pot with lid
- measuring cups & spoons
- spatula or stirring spoon
- spatula or stirring spoon food blender or similar option (potato masher, immersion blender, food processor)
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add apple slices, cinnamon stick, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and water or apple cider. Cover to cook for about 35-45 minutes, or until apples are soft and falling apart. Stir occasionally and check to make sure apples do not scorch.
- Remove pot off from the stove and let it cool slightly. Remove cinnamon stick, then add sugar to taste.
- Blend in batches. For a chunky sauce, use a potato masher.