- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 to 8 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh sage, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt & pepper
- cheesy croutons: 1 small baguette, cut into small cubes, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon pepper, ¼ cup olive oil, 1 cup grated Parmesan or fontina cheese
Kids kitchen skills:
- knife safety
- stovetop cooking
- measuring cups & spoons
- knife & cutting board
- medium pot, large spoon, & ladle
- standard or immersion blender
- In a medium pot, add the oil and butter and set to medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Carefully add the squash and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the chopped sage and continue to boil until squash is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- (optional croutons) Meanwhile, heat the oven to 400° F. Drizzle olive oil over the bread cubes in a medium bowl. Mix in the garlic powder, pepper, and cheese. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until croutons are golden brown and crispy.
- Turn the soup pot off.
- Carefully puree the soup using a blender or an immersion blender until smooth and thick, working in batches if using the blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and top with cheesy croutons!