Munch on these cute turtles before they crawl away!
- 1½ cups pecans
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup + 3 tablespoons condensed milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon coconut oil
Kids kitchen skills:
- toasting nuts
- measuring cups & spoons
- large pan & spatula
- small pot
- baking sheet & parchment paper
- microwave-safe bowl
- In a large pan on medium heat, toast pecans. Stir about 3-5 minutes, until fragrant and color darkens a bit.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Use five pecans for each turtle, connecting four of them to make the legs and attaching one for the head. Lay out the turtles, giving at least an inch of room in between.
- Melt butter in a small pot over medium heat. Then add brown sugar, syrup, and condensed milk. Turn the heat to medium high and stir to mix.
- Once caramel mixture starts to bubble, thicken slightly, and turn a light brown, add vanilla. Remove and cool for a minute.
- Drizzle caramel over the pecan cluster, making sure the sauce touches all of the pecans to mend them together. Add coconut oil and let it rest on top of the chocolate for a minute. Stir.
- Drizzle chocolate over turtles. Leave at room temperature for 10-15 minutes or in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. Then crunch in!