Biscuits are the best — and Cheesy Corn Biscuits are even better! Some biscuit recipes can be tricky, but this simple method uses a 1/4 cup scoop to help you shape the dough right. A brush of warm butter, Old Bay Seasoning, and chopped parsley gives these treats a special Southern flavor. The result is a warm, comforting breakfast you’ll want to enjoy again and again.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, chilled & cubed
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
Kids kitchen skills:
- measuring & mixing
- using a pastry cutter
- baking sheet & parchment paper
- measuring cups & spoons
- cutting board & knife
- large mixing bowl & spatula
- 2 forks or pastry cutter
- ¼ cup measuring cup or ice cream scoop
- small bowl & brush
- Heat the oven to 450° F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing, combine the flour, corn meal, garlic powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the cubed butter, using two forks or a pastry cutter, cutting the butter into the cornmeal flour mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
- Mix in the shredded cheese.
- Add the buttermilk, and mix until combined.
- Using the ¼ dry measuring cup, scoop the batter, packing it in lightly, and trim any excess dough. Turn over the measuring cup and tap to remove the unbaked biscuit, and place it on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile In a small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave or over the stove in a small pot.
- Mix in the chopped parsley, garlic powder and Old Bay seasoning.
- Take the biscuits out of the oven and brush with butter mix. Serve warm or at room temperature.