- 1 pound mozzarella block
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups cooking oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
Kids kitchen skills:
- making a batter
- deep frying
- knife & cutting board
- 3 bowls
- measuring cups & spoons
- baking sheet
- pot & slotted spatula or ladle
- paper towels
- Cut mozzarella into ½-inch sticks.
- Create your assembly line for your batter. Add flour to one bowl, bread crumbs, Parmesan, garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon salt to another bowl, and mix eggs and milk in the third bowl.
- Dredge each stick into the flour, then dip into the egg mixture, then finally coat in the breadcrumb mix. Press the mozzarella to stick to the coating. Repeat the process for a nice crunchy coat. Place breadsticks on a baking sheet and transfer to the freezer for 20 minutes.
- 5 minutes before breadsticks finish freezing, heat 4 cups oil in a pot over medium heat. Then remove breadsticks from fridge and add a few sticks at a time to fry. Occasionally turn the sticks gently and remove once golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Sprinkle remaining ½ teaspoon salt or to taste. Serve warm with marinara sauce.