Crunchy, chocolatey, and set with a colorful candy topping— these Chocolate Crunch Bars could be the perfect Valentine’s Day treat! In this fun heart-themed recipe, kids will learn how to melt chocolate, mix in other ingredients for texture, and then set their bars in the fridge. These easy, no-bake bars also allow plenty of room for artistic creativity. Drizzle chocolate to decorate your pretzel hearts, and top with the colorful candy of your choice!
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- ⅓ cup white chocolate chips
- 20 small pretzels
- 20 heart candies (or other candy)
- sprinkles (optional)
Kids kitchen skills:
- measuring & mixing
- melting chocolate
- setting in the fridge
- 8-inch square pan & parchment paper
- measuring cups & spoons
- 2 microwave safe bowls & spoons
- plastic wrap & knife
- Line the square pan with parchment, and set aside.
- Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a medium-size, microwave safe bowl. Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments stirring in between until melted and smooth.
- Add cereal to melted chocolate. Using a rubber spatula, stir and fold until well combined. Pour the chocolate mixture into the baking pan.
- Using the spatula smooth and even out the melted chocolate. Tap the pan a couple of times to help remove any air bubbles.
- Lightly press the pretzels into the melted chocolate making 5 rows of 4 pretzels each.
- Melt the white chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl. Using a small spoon pour the white chocolate filling inside the pretzel to form the heart. Immediately top the pretzel with the heart candy.
- Chill in the refrigerator until set, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the set chocolate from the mold onto a flat surface, and let it come to room temperature.
- Using a knife, cut the chocolate bars into squares.