If you love cream of tomato soup, try making it from scratch with our quick and easy recipe. Add a little extra flavor with fresh basil (or stir in some Cheddar cheese cubes just before serving!).
Creamy Tomato Soup for Kids
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup cream
- Small bunch fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese cubes, optional
Kids kitchen skills:
- using a blender
- working at the stovetop
- measuring spoons & cups
- medium-size soup pot
- A grown-up should heat the olive oil over medium heat in a soup pot. Once hot, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Turn off the heat.
- Blend the whole tomatoes and all the juices in a blender. Add the cooked onion and garlic, and blend until smooth.
- Carefully pour the pureed tomatoes into the soup pot. Turn the heat to medium-high.
- Stir in the cream and cook for about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and extra cream, if you'd like.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Stir in cubes of Cheddar cheese, if you'd like. Top with chopped fresh basil and pass the salt and pepper!