This warm, soothing sandwich is a French classic! There’s nothing like a cheesy Croque Monsieur to warm you up on a cold winter day. Creamy béchamel sauce gives this dish a special flavor, and it’s a great way to practice making a roux. If you want to change things up, try adding a fried egg on top — and you’ll have a Croque Madame!
- Béchamel sauce:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups warm milk
- 2 tablespoons chives or green onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 4-8 slices of ham
- 8 slices thick-cut bread
Kids kitchen skills:
- making a roux
- toasting in the oven
- measuring cups & spoons
- small saucepan & whisk
- baking sheet
- Heat oven to 400° F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt butter in a small pan over medium heat until melted. Add the flour while whisking, and cook for 3 minutes.
- On medium-low heat slowly whisk in the warm milk and allow to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Add pepper, chives, salt, mustard, and nutmeg (if using), stir to combine. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Place bread on the baking sheet, spread the béchamel sauce on 4 of the slices of bread, and top with the ham.
- Top with shredded cheese and parmesan cheese, saving some cheese for the top side of the sandwich.
- Place another slice of bread on top of each sandwich, spread more béchamel on top, and sprinkle the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Let the sandwiches rest for about 5 minutes, and serve warm.