There's nothing quite like starting the morning with Huevos Rancheros. This traditional Mexican breakfast of tortillas, tomatoes, fried eggs, and spices will fill you up inside and out!
- 6 tablespoons oil, divided
- 3 tomatoes, diced small
- ¼ onion, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper, deveined & minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 eggs
- optional addition: refried beans
- toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, green onion
Kids kitchen skills:
- chopping & dicing
- stovetop cooking
- frying eggs
- knife & cutting board
- measuring cups & spoons
- medium pan & spatula
- small bowl & spoon
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a medium sized pan.
- Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeño, salt, black pepper and cook until tomatoes release juice and start to thicken, about 8 minutes. Sauce will be chunky. Pour in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat another 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan over medium-high heat, and lightly fry each tortilla, about 1 minute on each side until lightly golden and crispy. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- In the same pan heat 3 tablespoons of oil. Crack the eggs one at a time, and fry sunny side up or cook to preference.
- Place tortilla on a plate, add sunny side up egg, and spoon the sauce around the whites. Sprinkle with toppings, add a side of beans, and repeat.