Want your kids to eat more greens? Sauté kale with garlic and pancetta (an Italian bacon)! Have them help you cook and taste it along the way. You might find a new kale fan under your roof!
Crazy for Kale
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup diced pancetta
Kids kitchen skills:
- crushing garlic
- adding salt to taste
- frying pan
- garlic press
- Tear the kale into tiny pieces with your hands. Or, you can use kitchen scissors to chop it up finely. Have fun ripping it to shreds, then set it aside.
- A grown-up can help sauté the Crazy for Kale. First, heat the olive oil in the frying pan for 1 minute.
- Add the crushed garlic clove to the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the diced pancetta and chopped kale. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the kale is wilted and bright green. Add salt to taste.
- Serve as a dinner side dish. Or, spoon onto crackers or crostini!