This one’s for the chocolate lovers. Step up your game with these Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies. They’re soft, chewy, and include a spicy surprise!
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sugar mixture: ¼ cup white sugar, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Kids kitchen skills:
- use of oven
- use of mixer
- measuring cups & spoons
- large & small mixing bowls
- electric mixer
- spatula or spoon
- ice cream scoop or cookie scoop (optional)
- parchment paper
- baking sheets
- Make your sugar mixture by combining white sugar, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Reserve for later.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt.
- In another large bowl, add softened butter. Use a mixer to beat until smooth. Pour in white and brown sugar, and beat until light and fluffy, making sure to scrape down sides. Add eggs and vanilla, and mix again to combine.
- Slowly add your dry ingredients to the butter mix. Stir together until just combined. Form balls of cookie dough with an ice cream scoop, cookie scooper, or your hands. Roll the balls in the sugar mix set aside earlier.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cookies 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes, until cookies are slightly cracked. Remove from oven and let the cookies cool before serving.