Experimenting with rice is a wonderful way to help finicky kids branch out. It’s hard not to love plain rice with butter and salt, but you might be surprised at the happy reception this fluffy, flavorful Mexican rice receives. Mild salsa, butter, and spices make this simple side dish a kid-approved favorite.
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup salsa (red, mild like Pace)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
Kids kitchen skills:
- Combine all ingredients into a medium, nonstick skillet.
- Bring to boil, then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rice stand with lid on for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid, fluff rice with a fork, and serve!