There’s something about carving food that makes eating it so fun! Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, these jack-o’-lanterns will melt in your mouth.
- 1 sweet potato (3-4 inch thick, uniform)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons white sugar
Kids kitchen skills:
- Use of a knife
- Oven safety
- veggie peeler
- cutting board
- measuring spoons
- small bowl
- parchment paper
- cookie sheet (preferably with wire rack)
- Peel the sweet potato and slice widthwise. Cut off a 1-inch thick piece at the ends, and the rest of the sweet potato into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Carefully cut out eyes and mouth. Halfway through this step, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place cut-out rounds on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides.
- When there are a few minutes left on the timer, melt butter in the microwave and mix with cinnamon and sugars.
- Remove from the oven and allow sweet potatoes to cool.
- Dip rounds into the sugar mixture and place on a cookie sheet (preferably with a wire rack) to dry for 10 minutes.