Gobble gobble mhm…If you like Rice Krispies, you’ll love this sweet and chewy marshmallow treat. Celebrate the season by rolling and decorating these adorable popcorn turkeys, and tell some “corny” jokes while you’re at it!
Turkey Popcorn Balls
1 hour 25 minutes
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (plus more to grease hands)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 10-ounce bag marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- optional decorations (candy corn, candy eyes)
Kids kitchen skills:
- measuring cups & spoons
- large pot & lid
- large bowl
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- Pour oil into a large pot and add popcorn kernels. Cover and cook on medium heat. The kernels will begin to pop in 2-3 minutes.
- After a couple minutes of popping, hold the pot handles with mitts on and shake carefully to help distribute kernels.
- When popping slows, turn the heat off. Transfer to a bowl, leaving any unpopped kernels behind.
- In a pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add marshmallows, vanilla, and salt. Stir continuously, until marshmallows are completely melted and smooth.
- Pour the marshmallow syrup over popcorn and mix well. After a few minutes, grease hands with oil and roll the popcorn into balls 3-inch in diameter.
- Place popcorn balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Allow to set for an hour at room temperature, then decorate!