Looking for an April Fools' prank with a delicious punchline? Learn how to make vegetarian “hot dogs” out of kid-friendly roasted carrots, topped with your favorite fixings.
- 4 large carrots, washed and peeled
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- your favorite fixings
Kids kitchen skills:
- knife & cutting board
- small roasting pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place carrots in an oven-safe baking dish, and drizzle generously with olive oil. Sprinkle evenly with the salt and pepper, turning carrots to cover all sides.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until carrots are tender and easily poked with a fork.
- Cool for a few minutes, and carefully cut roasted carrots to make them about one inch longer than the length of the hot dog buns.
- Fit each carrot into a hot dog bun, and top with your favorite fixings: fresh ranch dressing, pickled relish, or go fancy with grilled onions and gruyère for the grown-ups!