Nothing says spring like a colorful lettuce wrap! These crunchy Veggie Spring Rolls are packed with fresh flavors like sweet mango, tangy onion, and salty peanut butter. Kids will get good practice chopping, filling, and folding, and they’ll also learn how to whip up an impressive sauce from scratch. Dip, dip, hurray!
- 1 head butter leaf lettuce
- 1 cup purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, peeled and shaved in ribbons
- ½ cucumber, seeded and cut into matchsticks
- 1 small red pepper, cut into matchsticks
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 small mango, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- ½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- ½ pounds cooked shrimp, cut in half (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoons sriracha sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
Kids kitchen skills:
- making a sauce
- measuring cups & spoons
- knife & cutting board
- small mixing bowl & whisk
- small pot & stirring spoon
- Wash and chop all the vegetables.
- Place one or two leaves of lettuce aside for each spring roll.
- Place the veggie filling on the center of the lettuce.
- Fold the sides of the leaf to cover the filling. Then fold in the top and bottom tightly.
- Turn the spring roll over and place it on a plate, or upright in a bowl. Repeat for all the rolls and set aside.
- For the sauce: In a small pot over medium-low heat, simmer all the sauce ingredients, stirring occasionally until the mixture is smooth and blended, about 5-10 mins.
- Serve the spring rolls warm with the sauce for dipping!