This Thanksgiving, get the kids to help you with the cooking. Mash up a scrumptious side dish with this recipe. Give it some extra flavor by adding roasted garlic, if you'd like.
6 to 8 Servings
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 or more roasted garlic cloves (optional)
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh thyme
Kids kitchen skills:
- cooking at the stove
- vegetable peeler
- knife & cutting board
- measuring cups
- cooking pot
- potato masher
- A grown-up can help peel the yams. Then, slice them into 1-inch chunks. Place in a cooking pot and cover with water. Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil, then lower the heat and cook until soft, about 20 minutes. Turn off the stove, drain the water, and remove the thyme.
- Add the cheese, cream, roasted garlic, butter, salt, and pepper. Mash it with a potato masher. Give it a taste test. Need more salt, garlic, or cheese?
- Keep tasting and customizing the flavor until you are happy with the taste. Garnish with snipped fresh thyme. Serve warm.