Use the “Download Here” link above to print a pretty list of rules to put on your refrigerator.
Kids Kitchen Rules
- Talk to a grown-up before you start making a recipe.
- Wash your hands with warm water and soap.
- Roll up long sleeves or wear short sleeve shirts.
- Tie back long hair to keep it away from food.
- Read the recipe from start to finish.
- Put out all the tools and ingredients. French chefs call this “mise en place” (say meez en plas).
- Be sure to set the timer.
- Measure carefully.
- Be careful around sharp and hot items.
- Don’t forget to clean up the kitchen afterwards!
Here’s a video about one of the rules – Measure Carefully
Kitchen skills – Measure up. Did you know there’s a difference between liquid and dry measuring cups? For liquid, use a clear measuring cup, then read the measure from eye level. For dry ingredients, fill your measuring cup, then use the flat side of a butter knife to level it off. Perfect!