These little garlic knots are a throwback to your favorite neighborhood pizza shop! Practice mixing, kneading, and proofing fresh dough — with a twist! Garlic butter-sauce gives these warm knots a scrumptious, savory flavor. Enjoy!
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (plus more for kneading)
- 1 teaspoon salt & 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 cup warm water (plus more as needed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (optional)
Kids kitchen skills:
- mixing & kneading
- baking dough
- making a sauce
- measuring cups & spoons
- knife & cutting board
- large bowl
- brush & small bowl
- baking sheet & oven mitts
- plastic wrap
- In a large bowl add the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast, and mix to combine.
- Add the water and 1 tablespoon of oil to the flour mixture. Using a spatula or clean hands, mix until you have a shaggy dough.
- Flour your hands and knead the dough for 5 minutes, either in the bowl or on a floured surface.
- Drizzle a little oil into the bowl, and turn the dough to coat it lightly. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel, and let the dough rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 400° F. Line the baking sheet with foil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the melted butter, parsley, garlic, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese, if using.
- Punch down the dough. Then turn it out on a floured surface, shape it into a rectangle, and cut it into 12-16 pieces. Roll each piece into a 5-inch-long rope (about ½-inch thick) and gently tie it into a knot, tucking and pinching the ends together underneath.
- Place the knots on the baking sheet, and brush them with olive oil.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place the knots in the large bowl with the garlic butter mix. Cover with plastic wrap and shake the bowl to mix. Serve them warm with marinara sauce!